Location: San Francisco Bay Area (offices in Oakland, CA)
Reporting to: Research Director
Benefits include: 25 days’ annual leave, health insurance and company contributions to 401k
Established in 1987, SustainAbility is a think tank and strategic advisory firm that works to catalyze and support business leadership on sustainability. Through our research and advocacy, we chart new territory and help business leaders and their stakeholders understand and respond to the evolving sustainable development agenda. Through our advisory services, we help clients anticipate emerging trends, develop effective strategies and initiatives, and build new partnerships via authentic stakeholder engagement and collaboration.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated research manager to be based in our San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland, CA) office and to contribute to the development and execution of our unique research program.
The Research/Trends Manager’s key duties will be to:
- Support development and management of a dynamic portfolio of research and advocacy projects
- Undertake research and writing (e.g. papers, blogs, reports) on specific topics including stakeholder engagement, corporate governance, ethics, transparency, investor relations, strategy and innovation, and more
- Lead SustainAbility’s trends research function by designing and conducting bespoke research, overseeing inputs from multiple research analysts, and synthesizing key trends influencing and defining the role of business in sustainable development
- Develop and support research aptitude in wider SustainAbility team
Research Program & Project Management (65%)
- Support SustainAbility’s Research Director and other team members in developing and managing effective, high-impact research and advocacy projects on an ongoing basis
- Help develop and implement program-level strategies around major research themes such as Accountability, Investors & Markets and Strategy & Innovation
- Lead or contribute to research and writing on specific issues and topics
- Help SustainAbility’s full team remain informed and engaged with specific projects and other ongoing research activities
- Liaise with other organizational functions and teams (e.g. Client Services, Communications, Network & Partnerships) to develop and disseminate the work of the research program, including especially in business development and in client projects
- Assist with training and development of team members in implementing effective research strategies and methods
Trends Management (35%)
- Lead program to identify and track trends related to corporate responsibility and sustainable development, including supervising ongoing research and analysis, and preparation of key quarterly outputs (e.g. reports, presentations, blogs)
- Oversee trends-related activities of two to three research analysts (each of whom devotes a share of their time to the trends program), as well as the trends-related activities of the wider SustainAbility team
- Facilitate engagement with other members of SustainAbility’s team and extended network to gather insight on and disseminate our trends-related thinking
- Work with project managers to leverage trend capabilities and outputs for business development and in client and research projects
Key Skills & Competencies
Preference will be given to applicants who have the following key skills and competencies:
- Graduate Degree in Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics, Business Administration, Corporate Responsibility, International Development or other relevant field
- A minimum of three years of prior experience in a position with responsibilities relating to research, writing, corporate responsibility and/or or sustainable development
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Specific training and/or experience in research design and application of various research methods
- Ability to manage all stages of a research project, including developing, scoping, research and writing, and post-publication outreach
- Experience building strong and trusting relationships with external partners
- Alignment with SustainAbility’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Self-starter with drive, able to follow through without supervision
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deliver to deadlines
- Enthusiastic team player, with a positive, proactive attitude
- Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written
- Proficiency with basic productivity software (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint and Word), and ideally other, research-related tools such as databases, statistical modeling tools, etc.
This is a full-time position based in our San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland) office. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a CV and cover letter addressing the position requirements to email@example.com.
This position is available immediately. The candidate evaluation process will take place on an ongoing basis until the position has been filled. Selected applicants will be requested to provide references and a writing sample before final selection.
SustainAbility believes that diversity adds value to our business. We hire team members who reflect the rich array of diverse cultures, ideologies, and values that are part of the broad global workforce. SustainAbility does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious beliefs, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, marital status, political beliefs/affiliation, disability, or social or cultural background.