Office Manager/Administrative Assistant
Reporting to: Vice President, New York
Starting salary range: Circa $40k – $50k depending on skills and experience
Benefits include: 25 days’ annual leave, health insurance and company contributions to pension
Closing date for applications: Friday, February 21, 2014
Established in 1987, SustainAbility is a think tank and strategy consultancy working with corporate decision makers to achieve transformative leadership on the sustainability agenda. Our small, diverse team works globally from offices in London, New York and San Francisco.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate to join our team based in New York. This is an outstanding opportunity to work for a dynamic and passionate organization. It is a demanding and varied role requiring good organization, prioritisation and multi-tasking skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills and experience.
The person appointed will have the following primary responsibilities:
- To facilitate the day-to-day running of SustainAbility’s New York office
- To provide US finance support
- To act as point person for IT and knowledge management systems and liaise with external IT support
- To provide program, project, travel, special event and other support to the New York team
Office Management and Team Support (60%)
Provide comprehensive office and facilities support including:
- Providing a professional front-of-house ensuring all telephone, email and personal enquiries/callers are handled promptly and courteously.
- Ensuring the office and kitchen is kept clean and tidy.
- Ordering lunches/refreshments for meetings where appropriate, setting up meeting rooms, with any equipment required.
- Monitoring and renewing subscriptions; managing the subscriptions budget.
- Purchasing and maintenance of furniture and equipment, as well as the recycling (where possible) of any equipment that is no longer serviceable or required.
- Undertaking a regular supply inventory, ordering and managing stock of stationery, kitchen and other supplies.
- Providing a safe and pleasant user-friendly (and sustainable) office environment, proactively ensuring that SustainAbility complies with Health & Safety / Fire legislation, liaising with the building manager with regard to any repair, maintenance and compliance issues for the office and any common parts.
- Supporting team members with ad hoc tasks, including travel and accommodation.
- Proofreading deliverables, proposals and communications for team members as needed, plus PowerPoint assistance if required.
- Organizing and managing special events, including but not limited to, webinars, Board meetings held in the US, team off-sites and any Away Days, client meetings, networking events and team lunches/dinners as appropriate.
- Supporting administration of, and logistics, for the Engaging Stakeholders Program.
- Co-ordinating with Operations colleagues in London and San Francisco.
- Providing support for researching cost effective office locations and coordinating any office move.
US Finance Support (20%)
Responsible for US accounting support including:
- Updating the check log with incoming invoices to be paid and ensuring rates billed are accurate and invoices are not double-paid.
- Sending the check log to Finance Director bi-weekly for approval of checks to be issued.
- Processing expense reports for US team.
- Conducting a monthly American Express reconciliation to ensure charges match expense reports.
- Filing invoices in vendor files after they have been paid.
US IT support (5%)
Responsible for US IT support including:
- Acting as IT first point person within the New York office: tracking staff IT issues and logging problems, liaising with IT support vendor for technical support.
- Assisting with maintenance and operation of critical knowledge management systems, including customer relationship management (CRM) platform, project management system, time and resource management, and related applications.
- Providing GoToMeeting support for videoconference meetings.
- Maintaining an asset register of IT equipment in the New York office.
Executive Assistant to VP (15%)
Responsible for supporting the Vice President (New York) including:
- Managing his calendar
- Overseeing and arranging all logistical aspects of his meetings, visits and travel arrangements.
- Assisting him with preparation for, and follow-up action from, meetings as well as note-taking during meetings if required.
- Providing any ad hoc support as requested.
Key Skills & Competencies
Preference will be given to applicants who have the following key skills and competencies:
- Three years’ experience of managing an office, in either a consultancy, large organization or charity
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with drive, able to follow through without supervision with proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deliver to deadlines
- Clear and succinct written communication skills including the ability to draft minutes, reports, emails and correspondence
- Excellent organization and planning skills including calendar and travel management
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Enthusiastic team player, with a positive, proactive, supportive, attitude
- Excellent English – verbal and written
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to undertake and to manage several tasks simultaneously with attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, often to short deadlines, without compromising the quality and standard of service delivery
- Ability to be discrete and discern when confidentiality is required
- Ability to work effectively both as a member of a team and on own initiative.
This is a full time position based in our New York office. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a covering letter addressing each of the selection criteria and a CV to humanresourcesATsustainabilityDOTcom by February 21, 2014.
SustainAbility believes that diversity adds value to our business. We hire team members who reflect the rich array of diverse cultures, ideologies, and values that are part of the broad global workforce. SustainAbility does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious beliefs, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, marital status, political beliefs/affiliation, disability, or social or cultural background.